The Collins Poetry Residency is established in honor of the Richard Collins family and their contributions to and encouragement of poets and poetry in the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities and the Upper Mississippi River Valley. The residency supports community-based poetry and a regional poet who resides in the six-county Quad City area (Rock Island, Henry, Mercer, Scott, Clinton, Muscatine).

2010 Poet-in-Residence is Salvatore Marici of Port Byron

Monday, October 18, 2010

Trent Matthew England: MY KIND OF TOWN!

Trent Matthew England resides in Davenport, Ia. He graduated in 2008 from Black Hawk College and self-published his first book, a collection of poems, vs. in December of 2009, and is expecting to publish his second book, a collection of short stories, before the end of 2010.

Trent provided this context statement: "With Chicago being close where I live, it is easy for me to forget that Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the United States and the 26th most populated city on the planet, but after visiting last year to attend my first ever Cubs game at Wrigley Field I was inspired to write this poem." I hear Frank Sinatra singing.

MY KIND OF TOWN!

I dream of
the big city,
streets busy
with life.
I see the
intersections
and allies dissected.

I feel infected
because I’ve got
a disease
called desire,
and I don’t
want to get
mired down
in the mundane.

I feel the need
to rewire
my internal
dialogue, and
expand my
horizons and get
into the game
of life.

In the big
city, where
I can reinvent
myself, I fire
up and take aim
for the limit.