The Collins Poetry Residency is established in honor of the Richard Collins family and their contributions to and encouragement of poets and poetry in the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities and the Upper Mississippi River Valley. The residency supports community-based poetry and a regional poet who resides in the six-county Quad City area (Rock Island, Henry, Mercer, Scott, Clinton, Muscatine).

2010 Poet-in-Residence is Salvatore Marici of Port Byron

Saturday, October 23, 2010

John Denton: untitled

John Denton is a young Illinois poet who shares with us a sense of place some of us may never know or experience...

Untitled

We get beefin
Machine’s will be beepin
And bleepin
Them straps will get to clappin and clickin
Don’t get caught slippin
Im silahin and creepin
I let my actions do the speakin
When you leanin on the cement
You gon’ see whst I meant
I tried to prevent the sequence of events
Ya’ll gon’ me do some sitt im gon’ resent
And it won\t be my first offense
I prolly get sent
Back to the pin where color of your skin
Determine where you fit in
And then
Id prolly get shon hed for not plegin legiance
Cuz when you locked up you only friend in this jesus
Like him desired to die
By the hands of my enemy’s
Im in drop tops like John F. Kennedy